Friday, November 6, 2015

No chemical cleaning

As a mom I want my home to be a healthy one. With health comes cost, just look at the price of a salad compared to a hamburger. It's crazy. The rise of  things like cancer, skin issues and allergies is enough to make anyone do a double take. My own 14 year old has psoriasis, and has had shingles over 4 times already.

Did you know that Scrubbing Bubbles is banned in other countries? Or that Hydrochloric acid is in some Toilet Bowl Cleaner, that 409 cleaner can be used as a pesticide? I don't know about you but I wouldn't clean my counters or floors with pesticide but I have a bottle of 409 under the sink. I was shocked at what I found when I started researching what was in my cleaners.


The picture above is what made me start questioning what is in our cleaners. Only 5 out of 84,000 chemicals in our cleaners are regulated by the FDA???  So who is making sure our cleaners are safe? These are the things we spray on our counters and then lay our food on, clean our floors with and then sit our children on to play. Did you know many cleaners allowed in the US are banned in other countries? Me either. There had to be another way!

I was invited to an online Norwex party to help my friend jump start her new business. I had originally told her I wasn't interested . That I was raised if it didn't smell like bleach it wasn't clean. She had been too. She asked me to watch one video and said there was no pressure to buy. She understood. Well curiosity got the best of me and I watched the video. That got me watching more videos. Here is one of them. 


It was hard for me to argue. I bought the Basic Package. It includes: 
  • (1) Grey EnviroCloth®:-- The Norwex antibacterial Microfiber EnviroCloth removes dust, dirt and grease from all washable surfaces using only water—no chemicals! Norwex Microfiber has the ability to remove up to 99% of bacteria from a surface when following the proper care and use instructions. Our super-absorbent EnviroCloth picks up dust particles and traps them in the cloth until you rinse it out. Then BacLock™* in the cloth goes to work to self-purify and inhibit odors from bacteria, mold and mildew growth within the cloth. (From Norwex Site)

  • (1) Window Cloth--Our hard-working Window Cloth gets windows, mirrors, shower doors, glass tables, crystal, granite countertops, jewelry, brushed and stainless steel, chrome, knickknacks, patio tables and shiny surfaces sparkling clean with only water. BacLock™* in the cloth—our micro silver antibacterial agent—goes to work to self-purify and inhibit bacterial odors, mold and mildew growth within the cloth (From Norwex Site)
Now, I haven't been brave enough to use it with raw chicken like some videos show. I have used it on my counters and i LOVE it for the stainless steel fridge and dishwasher. And the black stove. I previously worked for a cleaning company and cleaning these without leaving streaks was a nightmare! We would have to scrub them, use cleaner, then finish with windex. Now I get my EnviroCloth wet, ring it out and go to town. Then finish off with my window cloth and I'm left with streak free appliances!


This is just a start in chemical free cleaning. I have a long way to go. I'm not one to say "do this" or "do that" but I will suggest you research on your own. To start don't go by what any blog says just grab a bottle of your favorite cleaner and start googling the ingredients one at a time. Write them down and google the side effects for each one. Then make your own conclusion. 

We just may be causing our own bodies the hurt we so desperately try to avoid. 

*I am in NO way affiliated with Norwex as of the time of this post* I have received NO  compensation for a positive review of Norwex products*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by.